Pool Shock 101 - Which Shock is right for my pool?

Posted by Pool Watercare Expert on Feb 16th 2022

Pool Shock 101 - Which Shock is right for my pool?

If you are using a chlorine based sanitizing system for your swimming pool, it can get confusing on which pool shock is best for you. There are many different types, names and ways to shock a pool. We always suggest that you refer back to your sanitizing system of choice to verify which pool shock they recommend using.

Calcium Hypochlorite (aka Cal-Hypo)

Cal-hypo shock is a chlorine pool shock that comes in a granular form. The strongest cal-hypo on the market is the Turbo Shock by Poolife which is at 78% strength. The benefits of using cal-hypo are that it will raise your free-chlorine levels without also increasing your stabilizer levels (aka CYA levels).

Because this is a calcium based chlorine shock, you would expect this to raise the calcium levels in your pool. If you are experiencing high levels of Calcium Hardness, you would most likely want to pick a different shock to do the job.

Calcium Hypochlorite Products:

Sodium Di-Chlor

The full name of this chemical compound is sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione. This chlorine shock dissolves quicker than calcium hypochlorite, and because of that it is the friendlier option for vinyl liner pools. Di-Chlor does not add calcium to your swimming pool.

Sodium Di-Chlor Products:

Non-Chlorine Oxidizing Shock

Oxidizing shock is made from the chemical compound potassium monopersulfate. This non-chlorine shock does not kill bacteria but it still packs a punch, it clarifies and oxidizes the organic waste in the swimming pool water. Pool owners might use non-chlorine shock to treat the organic waste so that their chlorine shock can focus more on killing the algae causing bacteria.

Non-Chlorine Oxidizing Shock

Shocking tips:

  • Don’t shock in the middle of the day. Shock works best when the sun is not out, so shock in the early morning or late evening. Think about when you’d water your grass!
  • Leave your pool cover off after shocking. Chlorine is a strong chemical and is especially strong when first mixing with your swimming pool water. Because of this, if you put a solar cover on after shocking this may lead to a shorter life to your cover. We recommend leaving the cover off for at least 24hours. 

Do you use the Baqaucil Sanitizing system?  You can find your Pool Shock (Oxidizer) here!